• Pip
  • Group: Gamers

• Char. Name:enkidududu
  • Server:Selion
  • Game:Grand Chase
  • LocationJigoku

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

Introduction

Grand Chase is a 3D side-scrolling fighting MMORPG developed by KOG and has been localized by different game publisher from different countries. As of now, the game has a total of nine existing servers; Korea, Brazil, North America, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand and Latin America.

However, this review will concentrate on Grand Chase Philippines.

This review, from a player’s point of view, will not only cover the game, but also the community and the GM Team administrating the game.

======================================

Game Review:

GCPH started with Season 2, where everything was balanced. The PvP game mode was a battle of skill and tactics. Back then, stats were divided into three (3): ATK, DEF and VIT. Dungeon runs were harder to clear without partymates. Character stats play a vital role in Grand Chase during Season 2, which results to overpowering non-cash users.

Since Grand Chase was a new game in the country, it had the slowest patch pace. Major updates were released every three weeks or a month. But the game was still balanced.

“Step moves” and “Ottoshot” were first introduced in GCPH by experienced and veteran GC players from the North American server. (*cough* iZero *cough*)

Back then, mastering step moves such as flash, rocket, and mushidon gives you the advantage against enemy players. The issue regarding ottoshot as a bannable offense was thrashed when the GM team officially announced that “Ottoshot is allowed.”

Abusable hacks and the use of 3PPs first appeared during S2 as well. Though hacks back then weren’t that bad compared to the existing hacks some players use as of today. But hacks are still hacks and using it is illegal.

A year later, Grand Chase Season 2 transitioned to Season 3.

Season 3 introduced new stats such as Critical Attacks, HP and MP Recovery, and Life/Manasteal. Card system which is pretty much like Ragnarok Online was included to the game as well. Act 2 has Crafting System, item grade (Normal, Rare, Epic, and Legendary), card slots and stat properties were also introduced.

While S3 offers new game features, the PvP system became less enjoyable. In PvP, you get a fixed 300+ HP in contrast to your overall HP (depending on your VIT) during dungeon runs. We’re not sure whether it was intentional or KOG messed up with the new PvP mechanics for Season 3. But then again, we decided to deal with it and make PvP more enjoyable like it was during S2.

However, it wasn’t that easy.

Season 3 PvP became a battle of the highest Critical Attack rate and MP Recovery rate. Cashers and non-cash users were almost on-par with each other because of the S3 PvP system which neglects the initial stat of a player.

While PvP was messed up during Season 3, Dungeon runs were ridiculously easier to solo. Cards, Stat Properties, and probably Epic and/or Legend grade armor sets are a plus if you want to clear dungeons easier and faster. Well, given that you have Critical and HP/MP gain cards compounded in your armor, dungeon running is a piece of cake.

Character Skill Tree (ST) is a big help in both dungeon runs and in PvP. Though, some of the character’s MP1 ST Skills are capable of taking down opponents with a single blow + Critical attack. And considering S3’s PvP mechanics, it is… quite annoying.

Ex: Elesis’ Rough Divide Lv 1, Ryan’s Poison Spore

The Heroic Dungeon feature shines a ray of hope for players who are either unlucky on their card hunting or plain lazy. The first Heroic Dungeon: Shrine of Ruin features a PedoNemophillia Card that gives 4.10% (3.70% as of Chaos patch) critical attack chance for 20 coins (now 30 coins) in the Heroic’s Shop.

Please correct me if I’m wrong with either the new crit rate for the Nemophillia Card or the coin.

Before Season 3 ended, hackers became rampant with their “Item Hack”, which allows the player to use items (usually HP/MP recovery item).

Now, GCPH transitioned from Season 3 to Chaos.

Grand Chase: Chaos introduced Dio, one of the three AP-type characters of the game. (The other two are Zero and Ley). Chaos patch offers new game features such as the real-time EXP system which makes your character level up faster, dungeon levels adjusted for better leveling experience and improved drop rates.

Well, as you might’ve guessed, Grand Chase: Chaos only improved the UI and the Dungeon mechanics. PvP is still crap—No, PvP System in Chaos is CHAOTIC.

Earlier when I talked about how messed up PvP was in Season 3, GM Mac officially stated that “S3 PvP system was intended to be that way” and “the PvP fix is still under testing.”

Well, Chaos’ storyline was about the ancient battle that happened in Cownat (lol), Mari’s memories revealing her past, the decisive battle between Sieghart, Elesis and Lass vs Dio vs Duel, etc. But that doesn’t mean the game is supposed to be Chaotic… literally.

If Season 3’s PvP was messed up, then let me tell you how Chaos’ PvP system made it worse.

Apparently, the MP Recovery nerf only applies on the non-Season 3 items, keeping the S3 armors’ stat properties. 100% Counter Resist is achievable now, and the new HP/MP gain mechanics were messed up. It’s like you gain HP and MP whether you deal or receive damage.

If you think that’s not enough, then here’s the Hell Spear property to screw you around. Hell Spear is an attack property like critical attacks. But instead of a chance rate, Hell Spear property is determined by the fixed amount of damage it can deliver to an opponent.

And it works in PvP too. Feels bad man.

Hell Spear wouldn’t be a problem if they can only be triggered by normal, non-skill-based attacks. But unfortunately, Hell Spear can be triggered by almost anything. Normal attacks, skills, class-only attacks (e.g Aegis Knight’s Blocking ability), you name it.

Tl;dr, Grand Chase: Chaos marks the beginning of the game to become like its sister game, Elsword. Who knows? With three AP-type characters, the original Chase members might be converted to AP-types once they have their character revamps.

============================================

Community Review:

The GCPH community is made up of in-game players, forumers, and facebook fans. One player could either be one of the three, or all.

While trashtalking players in-game is a common thing (Hello Philippine Online Gaming), players chatting in the lobby sometimes offer interesting dramu like in-game arguments, but it’s nothing compared to the dramu in the forums. Hell, you can even eat popcorn while reading.

Kidding aside, the problem with some people in the community is the “Character Hype/Update Hype”. Whenever there are new updates posted in the naver blog or Cow’s Grand Chase Info blog, players tend to become overexcited after seeing or watching a teaser of a new update.

“Imba! Kelan kaya irerelease si <insert character name here> sa PH? Siya na agad main ko!” is usually what a player will say.

While game spoilers aren’t bad at all, don’t you think being overexcited about it and wanting it to be released in PH as soon as possible is going too far? Let’s say they finally released the character or game feature you’ve been waiting for. Then what, you’ll complain?

A perfect example for this situation would be Amy’s release.

PH players are becoming more impatient every time they saw new updates or teasers from naver, cow’s blog or GCKR. What’s worse is that they are actually posting “suggestions” to release the said character/feature/update like… now?

Well, comparing GCPH’s update releases two years ago and today, I can say that the current pace is better than two years ago. In fact, there are times that we are getting the updates first than the other servers like NAGC.

Like being the only server without the GP mission for the Weapon Swap system.

But then again, I’m not in the position to tell them to stop with the update hype thing which can be annoying. The point here is: We should be patient with the updates. If we demanded LU! to rush the game updates, then Grand Chase PH will have another bugfest for many weeks.

==============================

Administration Review:

Grand Chase PH is published by Level Up! Games Philippines.

I’m grateful to LU! for localizing Grand Chase here in PH, but at the same time… I feel disappointed with how they manage the game since Season 3 up to recently. So, as you read this review, you might be wondering why did I include an administration review for GCPH? Well, you probably know the answer so… meh.

Let’s start with the events. Grand Chase’s in-game events are getting lamer. Nowadays, their filler events which involve hunting materials and use it for the event item (e.g. game board) is more of a luck-based game. Instead of getting the prize that you deserve from all the hard work, you’ll be given a slight chance of getting the grand prize of the event instead.

Sometimes, they have the tendency to pick a bad timing to announce cash-related events such as Purchasing Rewards and Seal-Breaker events a.k.a “Gacha”. For instance, LU! will announce a Seal-Breaker event on a season where people probably have no money to load for cash like summer vacation.

By the way, anyone still remember the Mini-stop promo? :D

Now let’s talk about the Feedbacks, Comments and Suggestions from players. GM Mac’s signature move called “Macbot”; a scripted forum post to a player’s suggestion and closing it at the same time, is the main reason why some of the players lost their trust to the GM Team. Macbot may be annoying, but that doesn’t mean they’re ignoring it… or so I think.

Some of our suggestions were pushed through, I’ll give them that. But the problem is: it takes so long before it gets implemented.

But you know; the main problem with the player-GM relationship of this game is the lack of communication with their players. Some of the players don’t take Macbot for an answer. They want updates from the GMs themselves about their feedback. But then again, they couldn’t just disclose information regarding the possible updates to anyone so I kinda understand.

Also, their naming sense is bizarre. Their excuse is “for originality’s sake”, but that doesn’t mean they can make the job class and weapon names sound lame.

Take Vader for example. Personally, I’d prefer Stygian over Vader. I couldn’t stop thinking that they got the idea of renaming Dio’s 1st job to “Vader” while watching Star Wars. Prime Knight’s “Executioner” was blessed by the gods according to the game’s storyline? Dood, that’s very ironic. Then what’s next, Zero the Explorer?

Let’s go to how GCPH Fanpage screws with the players with their lame-o-captions (credits to you Neku-tan).

Really, do they really have to do that? If it was intended to deliver a joke, then I wouldn’t mind that. However, I don’t see anything that hints the caption’s punchline. /harsh

Also, it offends players if they keep on doing that~

Example:

Sino itong kasama ni Ronan at pareho silang nag-eemo?

See what I mean?

Spoiler

This ends my review for Grand Chase Philippines. Thank you for reading~ XD

#2 User is offline   Kuro 

• Hooooozaaah!!!
  • Pip

• Char. Name:KuroGen2
  • Server:Luna, Gon , Ninko, Sidt
  • LocationBehind you =w=

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

i read ur post whole =w= AND I GOTTA LOL AT

ZERO THE EXPLORER XD!!~

NA = Zero the Wanderer

A plus 1 for jooo :3 ~

This post has been edited by Kuro: 09 May 2011 - 07:19 PM

#3 User is offline   Youkai 

• I ♥ Ahri
  • Pip

• LocationJigoku

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:30 PM

Sorry if the review is kinda tl;dr. It's amazing what boredom can do to you. :lol:

#4 User is offline   Kuro 

• Hooooozaaah!!!
  • Pip

• LocationBehind you =w=

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:33 PM

its a fun review :o!! ~

#5 User is offline   Dio 

• Oh hai Neku!
  • Pip

• Char. Name:SakurabaNeku
  • Server:Sidt
  • LocationIn my pants

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:10 PM

Lame-o-captions. =w=

#6 User is offline   Kuro 

• Hooooozaaah!!!
  • Pip

• LocationBehind you =w=

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:25 PM

ftw!!

#7 User is offline   Alekszandre 

• Irelia-chan~ <3
  • Pip

• Char. Name:Leks
  • Server:Varus
  • Game:Level Up
  • LocationFrost Forest

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:46 PM

View PostDio, on 09 May 2011 - 08:10 PM, said:

Lame-o-captions. =w=

QFAT.

#8 User is offline   FallenZero 

• YuxYukiko shipper. Problem?
  • Pip

• Char. Name:ReiSetsuna/ReiShiki/Raizanshou(from other games)
  • Locationかれらのこころにえいえんに

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:20 PM

Impressive review~

You can't find anymore of the "1v1 sparring" rooms anymore now that Chaos has been released~ *some moron played Pandora's role*

But there's nothing you can do about it anyway,live with it or just shrug it like most of the old players do,though some of them can't sit around and do nothing,so it's pretty natural to see a response like this~

#9 User is offline   KuroganeX 

• I am no where to be found....
  • Pip

• Char. Name:Akard / Trynextor

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:18 AM

To be honest... when Chaos was out, I was definitely affect by it... XP

During on season 3, I relied too much on HP and MP gain cards in Dungeons...

because of those cards... I've been motivated to do Dungeons over PVP the fact that I really suck at PVP... XP

but there are the times I go in PVP when I feel like it... XD

but after chaos was out... I kinda lost motivation on doing anything in the game it self... XP

Sure, I was really happy that the dungeons were more challenging... but in a price... HP and MP Gain activation rate was lowered... XP

although, for some odd reason, I'll just to bear w/ it... XP

another thing that affected me after chaos was the connectivity in the game... XP

when I tried to PVP... I always get delay so my opponents always complaint a lot about me... XP

although, I don't if it is the game itself or my ISP... but for all I know, I have a confidence that I have a high speed internet connection that doesn't have delay or lag... XP

well I tried to report it through this forum the fact that CS is delayed too much... XP

but I still don't get any response from neither the GM or the technical supports... XP

(maybe, I should call or go to LU office) XP

anyways... I've noticed lately that this forum became a riot due to complaints/rant... XP

In my personal opinion... We're having Grand Chase Chaos... literally... XP

Spoiler

btw, nice review XD

<-- lazy jerk but read it all XD

This post has been edited by KuroganeX: 10 May 2011 - 07:18 AM

#10 User is offline   Dio 

• Oh hai Neku!
  • Pip

• LocationIn my pants

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:34 AM

*gets a BAMF Kurogane hotdog *

Like a boss. =w=

#11 User is offline   Lifenian 

• Death to an Impure
  • Pip

• Char. Name:Lifenian (Li-fen-nyan)
  • Server:Don't look for me
  • LocationSomewhere in Lifenia (Li-fen-nya)

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:53 PM

Zero the Explorer?!

Im gonna give LU! the worst rage that I can give in my online gaming life...

The reason I play is because of the PVP System...

I love the way I can pawn others... And I had fun when I beat someone stronger than me during S2

During S3, the motivation to hunt cards really is low to me... And besides the Card Drop rate is low...

And now Grand Chase CHAOS-tic, really pisses me because of the rampant Item Hackers...

The MP Hack is bearable during S2 and the LU! CS immediately take action towards the Hackers

But nowadays, it may take weeks before they can ban against the GUILTY Hacker...

The only way for me to avoid Item Hackers is right on my Sig...

My winning defense because if a Casher is an abusive user... He can kiss his account's ass goodbye...

But like what I said, LU!CS really takes a very long time to take action...

During my Hack Reporting days in S2, it only takes 2 days for the CS to have their work in Progress and in 1 week, the Hacker is banned

*end of a Review that Sucks*

#12 User is offline   Rinn 

• Ley's #1 Fangirl~♡
  • Pip

• Char. Name:Klytie 可爱教主
  • Server:永恆冒險
  • Location中華民國台中縣豐原市

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:02 PM

i wanted to give another chance to this server but..
it's getting dirty around here

i interviewed a lot of my closest friends and they told me PH is a dirty server
nobody plays fair, even the cashers & those who pretend that they don't use hacks
actually, they are using hacks also but they are too careful to be caught

all my reports are still In-Progress
how long would it take for the LU CS to respond?
it's been a week since i reported those hackers
and yeah, i feel so frustrated on not getting enough evidence against edited ones

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Rinn: 10 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

#13 User is offline   FallenZero 

• Pip

• Locationかれらのこころにえいえんに

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

No,i don't think hackers in PH are capable of character edits *i'm currently in Okinawa*

But- that is an interesting insight.... I'll have some of the people i know in the game take some tweaks in that matter~

#14 User is offline   Noodles 

• Hunt for the Anti-charm.
  • Pip

• Char. Name:not tellin
  • Server:Special Events(joke)
  • LocationIn your anatomy, messing with your sugars.

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:04 PM

This be.
Spoiler

*Gets taken by Guardia Civils with a man wearing a Bayong Mask*

Waaaahhhh

#15 User is offline   Dio 

• Oh hai Neku!
  • Pip

• LocationIn my pants

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:05 PM

Oh goodness, damage edits NOW?!

Must create a sh**storm over FB D:<

*toodles*

#16 User is offline   Kuro 

• Hooooozaaah!!!
  • Pip

• LocationBehind you =w=

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:22 PM

View PostRinn, on 10 May 2011 - 08:02 PM, said:

i wanted to give another chance to this server but..
it's getting dirty around here

i interviewed a lot of my closest friends and they told me PH is a dirty server
nobody plays fair, even the cashers & those who pretend that they don't use hacks
actually, they are using hacks also but they are too careful to be caught

all my reports are still In-Progress
how long would it take for the LU CS to respond?
it's been a week since i reported those hackers
and yeah, i feel so frustrated on not getting enough evidence against edited ones

Spoiler

there are still u can trust =w= its just everyone in pvp is just too childish and doesnt know what respect and fair play
means please stay

#17 User is offline   Rinn 

• Ley's #1 Fangirl~♡
  • Pip

• Char. Name:Klytie 可爱教主
  • Server:永恆冒險
  • Location中華民國台中縣豐原市

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:57 AM

omona~ i think i'll better stay out of trouble this week

This post has been edited by Rinn: 11 May 2011 - 08:00 AM

#18 User is offline   LasThursdaY 

• Coming soon... very soon
  • Pip

• Char. Name:LasThursdaY
  • LocationKounat (Cownat)

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

I don't know why the GMs can't remove these hacks @_@

#19 User is offline   Kuro 

• Hooooozaaah!!!
  • Pip

• LocationBehind you =w=

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

Because hackers still find a way to bypass the crappy guarding system of the game =w= ~

#20 User is offline   FallenZero 

• Pip

• Locationかれらのこころにえいえんに

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

View PostLasThursdaY, on 11 May 2011 - 10:11 AM, said:

I don't know why the GMs can't remove these hacks @_@

It's not that they "can't",they're having trouble "stopping" them~

'Nuff said~

#21 User is offline   Youkai 

• I ♥ Ahri
  • Pip

• LocationJigoku

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:35 PM

View PostNoodles, on 10 May 2011 - 09:04 PM, said:

This be.
Spoiler

*Gets taken by Guardia Civils with a man wearing a Bayong Mask*

Waaaahhhh

Teehee~ <3

#22 User is offline   kanaTres 

• aren't i cute? tehehe!
  • Pip

• Char. Name:KaNa03Ai
  • Server:In Sarimanok, most of the times.
  • LocationCaloocan City, M.M. / City of San Jose Del Monte, Bulacan

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:24 AM

LOL'd at Zero the explorer! hahaahh!
i think,
Zero the Vagrant
is similar to
Zero the Wanderer

(in case they want it original....)

I haven't thought about the character edit issue.. seems new..

the best way i think to stop hacking is to ban those site that host or distributes hacking softies.

#23 User is offline   DvEeD 

• Seeking Justice Behind the Shadows
  • Pip

• Char. Name:De4thStarr
  • Server:Sarimanok
  • LocationFrom The Dark Side

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:32 AM

You're kidding me, Zero the Explorer?? hahaha much like Dora xDD

@the crappy guarding system

maybe they should change that guarding system if they cannot stop those f*cking cheaters not necessarily change thought but a lot more upgrade.. those websites who distribute those cheats still find a way to bypass that crap gameguard..

I think the tech of those websites are a lot better than those in LU.. no offense its just that I think it that way :)

A very good review you have there Youkai~~ +1 to you :D

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic